Teachings of Jesus in Luke: Living Forgiveness

Then turning toward the woman, he said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave me no water for my feet, but she has bathed my feet with her tears and dried them with her hair. You gave me no kiss, but from the time I came in she has not stopped kissing my feet. You did not anoint my head with oil, but she has anointed my feet with ointment. Therefore, I tell you, her sins, which were many, have been forgiven; hence she has shown great love. But the one to whom little is forgiven, loves little.” ~ Luke 7:44-47


He who risks and fails can be forgiven. He who never risks and never fails is a failure in his whole being. ~ Paul Tillich 



It is often easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. ~ Rear Admiral Grace Hopper



It was certainly easier for the woman who bathed Jesus feet with tears to seek forgiveness than ask permission to do it.


And Simon, and his friends, were indignant that she didn't ask permission first.

If faith changes you, so too does forgiveness. Forgiveness can give us courage. Seeking forgiveness can give us courage.

And courage can move mountains.

Grace Hopper's quote has been used by leaders of all stripes. In leadership, risking and trying and even failing are critical. You get nowhere by avoiding taking a chance.

Faith as I said, changes us. It makes us not afraid to be changed. It makes us ready to move into uncharted territories.

Even if it backfires in our faces.

Forgiveness changes us as well. It should empower us. Forgiveness by God should embolden us to love fully and deeply.

When we believe we don't need forgiveness, we tend to, as Martin Luther put it, be curved in on ourselves. We don't see our connection to others. 

Forgiveness teaches us how to live. It teaches us how to love. 

It is a place in which we can rest in confidence that we have a God who backs us up, gives us a resting place, and a courage to be who we are meant to be.


Prayer: Forgive me God, and move me to live a forgiven live of courage and love. Amen.





Popular posts from this blog

But we had hoped

Resurrection Run

The Gospel of Mark: Friday Follow-Up