The Teachings of Jesus in Luke: Family

Then (Jesus') mother and his brothers came to him, but they could not reach him because of the crowd. And he was told, “Your mother and your brothers are standing outside, wanting to see you.” But he said to them, “My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and do it.” ~ Luke 8:19-21


Family not only need to consist merely those whom we share blood, but also for those whom we'd give blood. ~ Charles Dickens 


The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof. ~ Richard Bach



Here are who are in my family:

The couple who served as my "in loco grandparentis" when I was a child and teenager and we had moved away from near my actual grandparents to Texas.

The neighbors in Texas who adopted us into their lives.

All my girl friends over the years (you know who you are!) - who hugged me, dried my tears, laughed with me, and held my hand when boys were mean or when fun needed to be had!

My step-mother, who has welcomed me, and Rick, and Alex into her heart and life.

The family who adopted us into their lives when we moved to Pennsylvania.

The couple who became like siblings to me, and whose girls introduce my daughter as their cousin.

The church folk of Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Irving, Tx.

The church folk of St. Matthew's Lutheran Church in Chester Springs.

The church folk of St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Glenmoore.

The church folk at St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Exton.

And...of course...the church folk at Grace Lutheran Church in Royersford.

And that just skims the surface.

I am lucky in that I can also claim my blood relations as family. My mom, my brother, my biological father, my adopted dad and all my aunts, uncles, cousins, in-laws, and grandparents. And then my immediate family, Rick and Alex.

But I'd also be lying if I said that over the years blood relations have always been easy: if there weren't times when arguments and sometimes family dysfunction seemed to win the day.

And there are many for whom blood relations seem to be the very antithesis of what family should be.

Jesus knew family was a complicated thing. But he gave one sure way of knowing you were part of one.

Through him. 

That's it. You are claimed. And so are your siblings - whether they be blood relations or not. 


Prayer: Thank you for making me part of your family, Lord. Help me be welcoming to all who would be part of this big table! Amen.



Popular posts from this blog

But we had hoped

Resurrection Run

The Gospel of Mark: Friday Follow-Up