First Discourse in Matthew: Almsgiving

“Beware of practicing your piety before others in order to be seen by them; for then you have no reward from your Father in heaven. So whenever you give alms, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be praised by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your alms may be done in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you. ~ Matthew 6:1-4


It's not how much we give, but how much love we put into giving. ~ Mother Teresa 


Something about this teaching from Jesus has always bothered me. It shouldn't, I know. And it isn't because I disagree with Jesus here. I have to guess that the reason it bothers me is because it is supposed to bother me.

Because there have been times, as much as I hate to admit it, where I didn't mind a little trumpet sounding to my giving. There were times I know I couldn't help but compare myself to how much I gave, or how I gave, or to whom I gave. And it bothers me that I get stuck in that thinking from time to time. Because I sure know Jesus is right here. And I most of the time understand why he's right.

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with humility and lack of self-aggrandizement.

But it also has something to do with what Mother Teresa is getting at here.

The Latin word that "charity" comes from is caritas, the word that was used in Latin as a translation of the Greek word, agape.

Agape. Charitas. Love.

The highest form of love.

Charity is the highest for of love. We don't really look at it this way I suppose anymore. In some ways, the word has taken on a negative connotation for many.

But where does love begin? Where does charity begin? 

Mother Teresa knows: in the heart. Charity is meant by definition to begin in love.

Give from the heart, is basically what Jesus is saying. Give in love.

And when is love, in its purest for, flashy or showy?


Prayer: It all begins in love, doesn't it Lord? Help me to love and give with my whole heart. Amen

Popular posts from this blog

But we had hoped

Resurrection Run

God's People: Abram