Fourth Discourse in Matthew: Forgiveness

Then Peter came and said to him, “Lord, if another member of the church sins against me, how often should I forgive? As many as seven times?” Jesus said to him, “Not seven times, but, I tell you, seventy-seven times. ~ Matthew 18:21-22


Forgiveness is not an occasional act, it is a constant attitude. ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.




Oh, Jesus....there you go on again about forgiveness.

Why is it that one of the things you talked about so much, is something that we still have trouble coming to terms with???

Have you ever put qualifications on forgiveness as Peter does here?

I have.

You mean I have to forgive that person? After what they did???

And sometimes....

I thought I had forgiven that person. Seems like it didn't stick. Does that mean I have to do it again?

And sometimes....

Why would that person forgive me? I can't forgive myself.

Not going to lie. Forgiveness is hard. Really hard. 

And that's why MLK, Jr. is on to something. Forgiveness is something we live into. It is a state go being more than it is something we do from time to time.

It's something we are in for the long stretch.

When someone hurts me, it is only by adopting a stance of forgiveness that forgiveness comes. It is knowing that it is hard to forgive once and be done with it. It is something that I will, like Peter, need to do over and over again.

Isn't it great that God has made forgiveness a constant attitude rather than an occasional act?


Meditation: Think of all the people who have forgiven you over the years and thank them within the silence of your heart. Amen


Popular posts from this blog

But we had hoped

Resurrection Run

God's People: Abram