The Gospel of Mark: Dinner at Levi's

And as he sat at dinner in Levi’s house, many tax collectors and sinners were also sitting with Jesus and his disciples—for there were many who followed him. When the scribes of the Pharisees saw that he was eating with sinners and tax collectors, they said to his disciples, “Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?” When Jesus heard this, he said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick; I have come to call not the righteous but sinners.” ~ Mark 2:15-17


Jesus runs into controversy many times throughout the gospel when he is confronted by Pharisees or Scribes. They have an understood way of doing things based on the law. Jesus seems be be flouting that every time he turns around.

It must be frustrating for them. For them, the law is sacred. The law gives order out of chaos. 

The law makes things and people pure.

The law is of God.

But have they put so much stock in the law that they have stopped seeing people? Individuals?

Have they lost compassion?

Are they missing the forest for the trees?

I have always wondered when I read this passage where I am sitting at this table. Am I one of the lost Jesus is reaching out to? Am I disciple learning from Jesus? 

Or am I one who is keeping the law so stringently that I am not seeing the real human beings sitting with Jesus?

I think the answer to those questions is that I have been all three at some point or another.

The other question that this has also raised for me always is: when Jesus says he is coming for the sinners, doesn't that really mean all of us?

Holy God, thank you for the gospel - the good news - of your Son. Open my mind and heart to this good news and enliven me with your Spirit of servanthood that I might share this good news with a world in need. Amen


Engagement Question:

Do I ever try to segregate who should be sitting at the table and who shouldn't be?


Popular posts from this blog

But we had hoped

Resurrection Run

The Gospel of Mark: Friday Follow-Up