The Gospel of Mark: Demand for a sign

The Pharisees came and began to argue with him, asking him for a sign from heaven, to test him. And he sighed deeply in his spirit and said, “Why does this generation ask for a sign? Truly I tell you, no sign will be given to this generation.” And he left them, and getting into the boat again, he went across to the other side. ~ Mark 8:11-13


There is something almost humorous about the Pharisees asking for a sign here. What have we been getting from Jesus up until this point in Mark? Have the Pharisees not been paying attention?

Or have they been, and they've just decided to discount what they've seen?

I wonder if we are all that different/ I'm going to guess that the Pharisees aren't the only ones who wanted a sign...and I'm going to also guess they aren't the only ones who have missed the signs that have been given.

Have you ever asked God for a sign? I know I have.

Especially lately.

This past year has been one where I think we have all at one time or another asked for a sign. Asked God why. Asked God to show us something.

I don't think God begrudges us the laments we have: the asking for a sign of hope in uncertain times.

But that's not what the Pharisees wanted. We are told over and over that they wanted to test Jesus.

Always hoping he'd fail.

It's OK to want a sign of hope. It's OK to ask for it and pray for it. I'm guessing that even right now, those signs are out there if we choose to see them.

Those signs were there for the Pharisees to see as well. What kept them from seeing them?


Holy God, thank you for the gospel - the good news - of your Son. Open my mind and heart to this good news and enliven me with your Spirit of servanthood that I might share this good news with a world in need. Amen

Engagement Questions:

Have you ever asked God for a sign? What signs have you seen of God's work in the world?
 

Popular posts from this blog

But we had hoped

The Gospel of Mark: The Burial of Jesus

The Gospel of Mark: Friday Follow-Up