Prayer: St. Patrick's Breastplate

Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ in me. Christ beneath me. Christ above me. Christ on my right. Christ on my left. Christ when I lie down. Christ when I sit down. Christ when I arise. Christ in the heart of everyone that thinks of me. Christ in the mouth of everyone that speaks of me. Christ in every eye that sees me. Christ in every ear that hears me. ~ St. Patrick 

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through him and without him not one thing came into being. What has come into being with him was life, and the life was the light of all people. ~ John 1:1-4

The Word of God is living and active. ~ Hebrews 4:12a

For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me. ~ Galatians 2:19-20a





What does it mean to have Christ with me? With those I come in contact with?

With every word that is spoken to me or that I speak?

We are comfortable talking about Jesus, but sometimes it is hard to remember that his last name wasn't Christ.

Christ was his title. It was who he was at his very essence. Who he was since the beginning of time before he was born as a human being with the name Jesus.

Christ was even what he DID! It was his job description. As Word of God - Christ is life itself - that which brings being into being. 

As Word of God made flesh, The Christ became Jesus.

Christ becomes what we do as well when we remember that Christ is to be shared. That life is to be shared.

And the Christ becomes present in the Eucharist where God is literally "done" TO us! Christ is not simply present, but is presence itself.

Christ is activity and life and being.

And when we know with every fiber of our being that Christ is in our very life - in the atoms that make us up, in the breath even that we breathe - then how can we help but share that life with others?

St. Patrick knew this intimately. In his prayer we see Christ surrounding him in every facet of his life.

Christ. Messiah. Anointed one. Word of God. By whatever name or title we use, Christ comes to us so that we may fully live and fully be known.

Prayer: Word of God speak. Speak love and life and being to me that I may share it with your world. Amen.

For a bit of music to add to your devotional time, here is a link to MercyMe's "Word of God Speak" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JK_6osCH74




Popular posts from this blog

But we had hoped

Resurrection Run

God's People: Abram