God's Call for Repentance



For the season of Lent I'll be sharing devotions from Grace Lutheran's devotional book: "Forgiven." 

While these devotions are not my words and may not represent my own faith or theological understanding, they are valuable personal faith perspectives of 40 of Grace's members and I am so grateful for their generosity in sharing them.


Part Three: Telling the Story & Naming the Hurt

Ezekiel 33:10-11 (God’s call for repentance)

Now you, mortal, say to the house of Israel, Thus you have said: “Our transgressions and our sins weigh upon us, and we waste away because of them; how then can we live?” Say to them, As I live, says the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from their ways and live; turn back, turn back from your evil ways; for why will you die, O house of Israel?


Watchman - considered as an official military position; and biblically speaking, much like a shepherd. As a Christian [watchman, shepherd], we are entrusted with and accountable for what we know of God’s message. So what does this accountability look like? To me, this means to be your best self with the help of God! Being aware of one’s “conversation, conduct, and character”, and offenses, sin or anything else that gets in the way of one’s relationship with the Lord. A demonstration of forgiveness, encouragement, kindness, and forbearance towards our “neighbors” is a true testimony of the love we have for Christ Jesus.


Not long ago, I was deeply hurt by someone close to me. I wanted to react “give a piece of my mind”, if I am going to be perfectly honest! Instead, I took my “hurt” to the Lord and asked for His perspective. It didn’t take Him more than a few minutes to download into my spirit “He may have divided the family... but you are creating division in your heart”. In that moment, I was being made accountable for my choices in “conversations, conduct, and character” regarding this relationship. Subsequently, forgiveness was the only option for me. Yes, it’s not easy and the memory hurts, sometimes. However, God knows how to take the sting out of the “hurt”! God has made you and I the “watchman” – honor, love, and protect what ultimately belongs to Him!



Prayer: Thank you for helping us to rearrange our priorities in life. Most of all, thank you for strengthening our faith to forgive others! In the name of Jesus, we pray.

Amen
~Jan

Popular posts from this blog

But we had hoped

Resurrection Run

The Gospel of Mark: Friday Follow-Up