The Teachings of Jesus in Luke: Repent and Forgive

Jesus said to his disciples, “Occasions for stumbling are bound to come, but woe to anyone by whom they come! It would be better for you if a millstone were hung around your neck and you were thrown into the sea than for you to cause one of these little ones to stumble. Be on your guard! If another disciple sins, you must rebuke the offender, and if there is repentance, you must forgive. And if the same person sins against you seven times a day, and turns back to you seven times and says, ‘I repent,’ you must forgive.” ~ Luke 17:1-4


An apology is the superglue of life. It can repair just about anything. ~ Lynn Johnston



Two things happening here.

Don't be the person who causes another person to sin.

And if a person does sin, forgive them over and over and over again every time they repent.

As a teacher and preacher, the first words have a real caution for me. I'd better be really careful what I teach and say. I have to remember that my first mission is to show Christ to you and to the world.

To let you know how God's love abounds and to love everyone that much myself.

But times are going to come in church, at home, at work, when someone - me included - is going to bungle it.

Going to stumble.

Going to mess up.

And when we do and we want forgiveness, we are called to repent. To turn back. 

I've discovered that this might be the toughest thing that 21st century folk find to do. Saying "I'm sorry" or "Please forgive me" can be hard to say for many people. I've found it extremely difficult at times (especially with my family!)

But how freeing when we do! How wonderful when a relationship is mended!


Prayer: I know I need to say I'm sorry to someone, Lord. Give me the words. And help me forgive the person I need to as well. Amen



Popular posts from this blog

But we had hoped

Resurrection Run

The Gospel of Mark: Friday Follow-Up