The Wisdom of Ecclesiastes: Wisdom of Faith


I, the Teacher, when king over Israel in Jerusalem, applied my mind to seek and to search out by wisdom all that is done under heaven; it is an unhappy business that God has given to human beings to be busy with. I saw all the deeds that are done under the sun; and see, all is vanity and a chasing after wind.
What is crooked cannot be made straight,
    and what is lacking cannot be counted.
I said to myself, “I have acquired great wisdom, surpassing all who were over Jerusalem before me; and my mind has had great experience of wisdom and knowledge.” And I applied my mind to know wisdom and to know madness and folly. I perceived that this also is but a chasing after wind.
For in much wisdom is much vexation,
and those who increase knowledge increase sorrow. ~ Ecclesiastes 1:12-18


True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us. ~ Socrates


When I think about everything happening in the news right now, none of it does make much sense if I apply only my mind to it. If I think about it only, my faith isn't much good.

How do we tend to view faith? Is it something that we do with our minds? Do we imagine that belief is conjured up simply in our pre-frontal cortex?

And is wisdom itself something only of the mind?

If so, then yes, it does make sense that what is crooked cannot be made straight or what is lacking cannot be counted.

But I'm inclined to think instead that the answer is no. 

Chasing after vapor might not seem smart. Or wise. Or part of a pattered, mind-led belief.

But there is someone who mades crooked paths straight.

Who counts those who are lacking.

And I'm not sure our brains enough are capable of fathoming that.





Prayer: Lord, you lead me with more than my brain. Grab me today by all of my senses and through my heart as well that I might see what otherwise is impossible to see. Amen

Popular posts from this blog

But we had hoped

Resurrection Run

God's People: Abram