First Discourse in Matthew: Self-Deception

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many deeds of power in your name?’ Then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; go away from me, you evildoers.’ ~ Matthew 7:21-23


It (trying to keep the law) grants you the power to judge others and feel superior to them. You believe you are living to a higher standard than those you judge. Enforcing rules, especially in its more subtle expressions like responsibility and expectation, is a vain attempt to create certainty out of uncertainty. And contrary to what you might think, I have a great fondness for uncertainty. Rules cannot bring freedom; they only have the power to accuse. ~ Wm. Paul Young, The Shack


True humility does not know that it is humble. If it did, it would be proud from the contemplation of so fine a virtue. ~ Martin Luther


Above all, don't lie to yourself. The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to a point that he cannot distinguish the truth within him, or around him, and so loses all respect for himself and for others. And having no respect he ceases to love. ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov



In the NRSV translation I use for this blog, the heading for this text was "Concerning Self-Deception." And I admit, at first I had to wrestle a little bit with this. It wasn't the first thought I jumped to on my own.

But I then thought of all the times I have justified myself over the years - to family, friends...

...to God...

And often that justification began with "Well, I DID". Or "Didn't I?"

And I mean, I did what I was supposed to do. I DO what I'm supposed to.

I obey the law. I don't cheat on my taxes. I go to (and lead in) church. I am faithful to my spouse and family. I hold the door for strangers and give money to homeless people on the street.

See, God? Aren't I good at doing what you want me to do?

And therein lies the self-deception.

As if the doing of the right thing...the following of the law...is the thing that is life-giving in and of itself.

As if puffing myself up by what I do and don't do is going to earn me points with God.

We lie to ourselves when we think it is simply by doing the right thing that we are following Jesus.

But the truth will set us free. 

Love will set us free.

Free from judgment, from feeling superior, from pride.

And free us for sharing love and truth with the world.


Meditation: Reflect on the areas that you struggle with in letting go of pride and judgment?

Popular posts from this blog

But we had hoped

Resurrection Run

The Gospel of Mark: Friday Follow-Up