Second Discourse in Matthew: Losing the Mask, Letting go of Ego

“Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and one’s foes will be members of one’s own household.
Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever does not take up the cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Those who find their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it." ~ Matthew 10:34-39



We have the choice of two identities: the external mask which seems to be real...and the hidden, inner person who seems to us to be nothing, but who can give himself* eternally to the truth in whom he* subsists. ~Thomas Merton (* or herself!)


The human ego wants two things: It wants to be separate and it wants to be superior! This is why Jesus says this self must “die” for something much better to be “found.” As long as the ego is in control, not much new will ever happen. ~ Richard Rohr


Losing your life can take a lifetime. Finding your life can take a lifetime.

It means letting go of ego. It might mean getting rid of a whole bunch of masks.

What lives have you lost? What masks have you worn?

Me...I've lost the angry adolescent mask.

The image and reward conscious corporate consultant mask.

The part of me who wants to be in control.

The unforgiving adult child of an alcoholic self.

And the self that seemed permanently broken by grief.

At least, most of the time. (some of those are easier to lose for me than others!)

Sometimes, losing those masks that are so important for one part of our life, might mean losing the people and ideas that went along with them once those masks are no longer necessary.

And Jesus was all about helping us remove our masks.

Yes, he said, losing those masks might make you lose people. Even those you are close to.

Oh...but what you will find instead!!

Your true self. The self you were born to be.

The self that doesn't need to be superior or separate from God, or from neighbor.


Meditation: What are the masks you've gotten rid of in your life? What masks do you still cling to?


Popular posts from this blog

But we had hoped

Resurrection Run

The Gospel of Mark: Friday Follow-Up