God in Times of Sorrow

Praise the Lord! How good it is to sing praises to our God; for he is gracious, and a song of praise is fitting. The Lord builds up Jerusalem; he gathers the outcasts of Israel. He heals the brokenhearted, and binds up their wounds. He determines the number of the stars; he gives to all of them their names. Great is our Lord, and abundant in power; his understanding is beyond measure. The Lord lifts up the downtrodden; he casts the wicked to the ground. ~ Psalm 147:1-6


But when unknown to me you caressed my head, and when you closed my eyes lest they see things that would seduce me, I began for a little while to forget about myself, and my madness was lulled to sleep. When I awoke in you, I saw very differently, infinite in a very different sense. But what I saw was not seen with the eye of the body. ~ St. Augustine



There is no promise from God that we will be free from suffering.

We will suffer. 

We will feel pain, sorrow, and grief.

But beyond our understanding and comprehension, God remains faithful and longs to comfort us.

God helps us move beyond our pain toward peace.

God awakens us to new possibilities.

God brings life out of death.

Ultimately God remains mysterious. Unknowable. 

And yet present. Trustworthy.

Providing hope.


Prayer: Awaken hope in me, Lord, that I may know your presence. Amen


Popular posts from this blog

But we had hoped

Resurrection Run

God's People: Abram