Alien

Now there was a famine in the land, besides the former famine that had occurred in the days of Abraham. And Isaac went to Gerar, to King Abimelech of the Philistines. The LORD appeared to Isaac and said, "Do not go down to Egypt; settle in the land that I shall show you. Reside in this land as an alien, and I will be with you, and will bless you; for to you and to your descendants I will give all these lands, and I will fulfill the oath that I swore to your father Abraham. I will make your offspring as numerous as the stars of heaven, and will give to your offspring all these lands; and all the nations of the earth shall gain blessing for themselves through your offspring, because Abraham obeyed my voice and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws. ~ Genesis 26:1-5



One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star. Friedrich Nietzsche



Reside in this land as an alien.  

Reside in this land as an alien.

I think it might need to sink in a little bit. God blessed Abraham. And Isaac.  And as part of that blessing? A call to go be an alien.

There is a consistent theme in God's story. We are used to Jesus talking in the Gospels about the "least of these." But that wasn't anything new. God was always looking out for the outcast. The widows. The orphans. The alien.

And here...being an alien is actually part of the blessing.

Who is the alien in my life?  Who is the alien in your life?  Who are the groups of aliens in our country? What does that God call us to do for them? How are we meant to care for them?

And when or how are you an alien? And if you aren't one, how might God be pushing you to become one and have that particular kind of understanding?

Where can you go to stretch out from your comfort-zone and become blessed by being the outsider? To add a little chaos to your life find a way to grow into a new kind of blessing?

We have labeled aliens as either "legal" or "illegal." Do those labels mean anything to God? 

Or is the proper label for them "blessed."




God of the stranger, the outsider, and the alien, move me to love my neighbors, all of them, and move me toward a greater understanding by giving me the chance to be an alien as well.  Help me to be a blessing to them.  Amen.


Thoughts for engagement:

- How does this passage challenge your ideas about what it means to be an alien?
- Have you ever been an alien? If not, what ways can you give yourself that experience? How can we add "chaos" (or something foreign, or uncertain) to our lives that we might experience something new ("to give birth to a dancing star")?
- Does God see borders as we do? What are the borders we put up in our own lives that God would have us tear down?

Popular posts from this blog

But we had hoped

Resurrection Run

God's People: Abram