It's a Big Tent!

Beginning this week, for those who are missing some kind of ongoing Bible Study, I'll be adding information at the end of each devotional for further engagement with the text. 

In addition, beginning in September, I'd like to do my devotions on some of your favorite topics, texts, themes, or books. Contact me at deaconallison12@gmail.com if you have anything you'd like to see in further devotions. I'll get to as many as I can over the course of the year!


O LORD, who may abide in your tent?
Who may dwell on your holy hill?
Those who walk blamelessly, and do what is right,
and speak the truth from their heart;
who do not slander with their tongue,
and do no evil to their friends,
nor take up a reproach against their neighbors;
in whose eyes the wicked are despised,
but who honor those who fear the LORD;
who stand by their oath even to their hurt;
who do not lend money at interest,
and do not take a bribe against the innocent.
Those who do these things shall never be moved. ~ Psalm 15



But the people who are not afraid to admit everything that they see to be wrong with themselves, and yet recognize that they may be the objects of God's love precisely because of their shortcomings, can begin to be sincere. God’s sincerity is based on confidence, not in their own illusions about themselves, but in the endless, unfailing mercy of God.”  Thomas Merton (inclusive language added)


Sound's like a tall order to live in God's tent, doesn't it?  Yet all things we'd of course expect ourselves from people we "abide" or stay with: friends and family we hang out with.  You expect truth and loving words and commitment.

Yet we know we all fall short here.  Over and over we are betrayed by our own hurt and anger to say and do things we know we shouldn't, yet in that moment of passion, feel oh-so-right...

Until they don't.

Until we feel like we've strayed from the tent.  

The good news is that this isn't the end of the story.  We stray from the tent and yet someone is pulling us back - expanding the tent so that more can abide in it.

What does it feel like when you know Jesus is pulling you back in? Some moment after you've said or done something - gossiped, judged, fought, lied - that left you feeling cut off from God only to feel that mercy spread over you, pulling you back...

Did it compel you to seek forgiveness?  Did it leave you in tears?  Did it give you a sense of peace?

Martin Luther reminds that through baptism the "old creature" in us is drowned and dies daily to sin.  For me, that "daily" is an important word.  The moment I think I've got it all together, is usually the moment it all falls apart.  That "old creature" in me is in its death throes but each day I begin again on this journey toward being the new creation I am in Christ: pulled back under the tent when I stray through repentance and forgiveness over and over again.

And the thing is God isn't just doing that for me. It is even for those that I don't agree with, or those who make me mad or don't live up to my standards. God reminds me that the standards aren't mine. They are God's.

It's a big tent.  A tent that is wide enough and strong enough and full of enough hope to hold more than a few stragglers.


Jesus, pull me back in when I stray from your tent.  Forgive me and remind me daily of my baptism, that I am clothed in you and that your mercy works ever wider than I can even imagine. Amen


Thoughts for engagement:

- When is a time that you have repented and been forgiven? How did that feel? What changed as a result?
- In Luther's Small Catechism, read his explanation of Baptism. What does baptism have to do with repentance and forgiveness? (if you don't have one, you can find one online here: http://ctkelc.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Martin-Luthers-Small-Catechism.pdf)
- Find some other Psalms that have to do with repentance. Choose your favorite and use this for prayer this week.



Popular posts from this blog

But we had hoped

Resurrection Run

God's People: Abram