Scripture

Your word is a lamp to my feet
and a light to my path.
I have sworn an oath and confirmed it,
to observe your righteous ordinances.
I am severely afflicted;
give me life, O LORD, according to your word.
Accept my offerings of praise, O LORD,
and teach me your ordinances.
I hold my life in my hand continually,
but I do not forget your law.
The wicked have laid a snare for me,
but I do not stray from your precepts.
Your decrees are my heritage forever;
they are the joy of my heart.
I incline my heart to perform your statutes
forever, to the end.  ~ Psalm 119:105-112



There's a lovely Hasidic story of a rabbi who always told his people that if they studied the Torah, it would put Scripture on their hearts. One of them asked, "Why on our hearts, and not in them?" The rabbi answered, "Only God can put Scripture inside. But reading sacred text can put it on your heart, and then when your hearts break, the holy words will fall inside.” ~ Anne Lamott




There are many ways we read scripture.  These days there are even many arguments about how we read scripture.

Here we see it is a light to our path. It is through scripture that we are able to see things in a way that is clarifying or edifying.  It is a lens through which we see life.

It is a lens through which we can experience the faith lives of those who came thousands of years before us!

That's different than being a rule book we take off the shelf to answer our questions or problems.  A lens is the thing we see through that guides us to the answer.

That isn't to say the Bible doesn't have answers.  But as a Book of Faith the Bible clarifies and instructs.  It also provides comfort and joy.  And poetry and love.  And history and caution.  And hope.

It points us to the true Light. Christ, the Light of the World.  The word shows us the Word.

And the Word - and the words - sit on our hearts and break them open so love can seep in.

Luther called the Bible the cradle for Christ.  It leads us to the heart of the matter.  To the saving work of God through Christ.

It lights our way and leads us to the Light.

Jesus - light our path and open up scripture to us so we can find you always.  Amen.


Thoughts for engagement:

- What were you taught about the Bible growing up? How have you read it over the years?
- Look through the Bible to find examples of all the different types of books in it. What does it mean that there are different types of books?
- What does Martin Luther mean that the Bible is the Cradle for Christ?
- What do you think about Anne Lamott's quote? Has scripture ever broken your heart open?




Popular posts from this blog

But we had hoped

Resurrection Run

God's People: Abram