Stumbling Block

Beginning this week, for those who are missing some kind of ongoing Bible Study, I'll be adding information at the end of each devotional for further engagement with the text. 

In addition, beginning in September, I'd like to do my devotions on some of your favorite topics, texts, themes, or books. Contact me at deaconallison12@gmail.com if you have anything you'd like to see in further devotions. I'll get to as many as I can over the course of the year!


God has not rejected his people whom he foreknew. Do you not know what the scripture says of Elijah, how he pleads with God against Israel? Lord, they have killed your prophets, they have demolished your altars; I alone am left, and they are seeking my life. But what is the divine reply to him? "I have kept for myself seven thousand who have not bowed the knee to Baal." So too at the present time there is a remnant, chosen by grace. But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace would no longer be grace.
What then? Israel failed to obtain what it was seeking. The elect obtained it,
but the rest were hardened, as it is written,

"God gave them a sluggish spirit,

eyes that would not see
and ears that would not hear,
down to this very day."
And David says,
"Let their table become a snare and a trap,
a stumbling block and a retribution for them;
let their eyes be darkened so that they cannot see,
and keep their backs forever bent." ~ Romans 11:2-10


Your mercy flows like a river wide...I could search for all eternity and find there is none like you. ~ Michael W. Smith


In describing a stumbling block here, I think Paul presents us with our own possible stumbling block.  It's a trap that has snared many: trying to decide who is and who is not among the "elect."  Who grace does or does not work for. Who does or does not have a sluggish spirit. I'm not sure about you, but the moment I begin to try to do that - setting myself apart from someone or assuming I'm in but they are out, then I begin to feel that it is myself who is out.

We do it all the time. We don't agree with someone's religion or theology.   We don't think they act like a good Christian. We see them as sinful or arrogant or mean or just plain bad. We think their politics are wrong. It's a slippery slope then to assuming God's grace doesn't apply to them.

Sometimes it happens only in an instant and is gone. They cut us off in a moment of road rage.  They told us they don't like us. They acted in a way that we don't believe is Christ-like.  We had an argument with them. 

Sometimes it is a longer term stumbling block for us based on who they are. They are Muslim. They are an atheist. They are gay or transgendered.  They are another race. They are an illegal immigrant. They are a criminal. They are of the wrong political party.

This text can itself become a snare or a trap if we become caught up in Paul's use of the word "elect."  If we forget this text has context.  If we forget that Paul is instead describing the active and amazing nature of grace: "it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace would no longer be grace."

Michael W. Smith sings: "Your mercy flows like a river wide...I could search for all eternity and find there is none like you."  Imagining ourself as elect, but others not, shows a forgetfulness that God's grace works beyond our imaginings. It flows wider than we can envision. There is none like it.

When we do begin to envision it - when we allow for the awesome mystery of God's expansive grace, we ourselves begin to fully live into the promise of that grace and begin to truly experience its life giving nature.

When we can allow it for others - even though we don't like or agree with them - we can even more experience the richness of that grace for ourselves.




God of grace and mercy, forgive me when I try to decide who is in and who is out.  Who is elect and who is judged.  Help me to expand my own mercy and forgiveness so that I can be an instrument of your love and grace.  Amen.



Thoughts for engagement:

- If your bible has a concordance, look up all the places that the phrase "stumbling block" is used in the whole bible. (or you can do a search on Biblegateway.com) What similarities are there?
- Who are the people or groups in your life you've had trouble seeing as worthy of grace?
- Read all of Chapter 11 of Romans to see Paul's context. Read the notes your Bible has on it.

Popular posts from this blog

But we had hoped

Resurrection Run

God's People: Abram