The Art of Remembering



I thank my God every time I remember you. ~ Philippians 1:3


To write is human. To receive a letter: Divine! ~ Susan Lendroth


Have you ever gotten a letter that started with such a astounding opening line?  We don't write letters much anymore, and in fact, I've often wished that somewhere along the way, someone had taught me the fine art of letter writing. The art of email just isn't the same.

Because it is an art.  And for me, writing a good letter, just as with some other artistic forms, hasn't been something I've ever felt I was able to master. I can write other things, but I admit I can't recall ever writing a good letter.

But I've gotten them. And I've gotten them even with such lovingly cherished, soul-baring openings as this.  Friends I've made in Tanzania really know the art of writing a letter. "I thank my God every time I remember you."

I thank my God.

Every time.

Every time.

Although it's an art form, what makes the letters I've received from these friends so meaningful is that in truth they are artless - natural, simple, earnest, seemingly effortless.  Spirit driven.

What would it feel like to have someone tell you that they thank their God - your God - every time a thought of you even comes into their head?  And to have them tell you that with disarming sincerity?

What would it feel like to say that to someone and to really mean it from the bottom of your soul?

Paul meant it to the Philippians. My friends in Tanzania meant it.

We don't have to know the art of letter writing even to mean it.  We can say it - speak it - from our hearts.

Gratitude to God filling us up at the idea that such a person - such people - get to be in our lives.

If there is someone like that for you, maybe you could tell them so.

Gracious God, I am overwhelmed at the generosity you have shown by putting dear ones in my life.  Help me to always let them know how important they are to me! Amen


Thoughts for engagement:

- When was the last letter you received? The last one you sent? Who was it from? Who was it to?
- Look at the beginning of each of the Epistles in the New Testament. How do they begin?







Popular posts from this blog

But we had hoped

Resurrection Run

God's People: Abram