The Gospel of Mark: Their hearts were hardened

Immediately (Jesus) made his disciples get into the boat and go on ahead to the other side, to Bethsaida, while he dismissed the crowd. After saying farewell to them, he went up on the mountain to pray.

When evening came, the boat was out on the sea, and he was alone on the land. When he saw that they were straining at the oars against an adverse wind, he came towards them early in the morning, walking on the sea. He intended to pass them by. But when they saw him walking on the sea, they thought it was a ghost and cried out; for they all saw him and were terrified. But immediately he spoke to them and said, “Take heart, it is I; do not be afraid.” Then he got into the boat with them and the wind ceased. And they were utterly astounded, for they did not understand about the loaves, but their hearts were hardened. ~ Mark 6:45-52



The disciples' hearts were hardened.

The disciples' hearts were hardened!!

If I am recalling correctly, this is the only time in any of the Gospels where we get such an accusation against them. In fact, for me, this accusation against them casts a shadow on this whole passage.

When I think of hardened hearts, I think of Pharaoh in the story of the Exodus.

I think of a hardened heart as something that is not the fertile soil that brings to life the seeds that Jesus plants.

And I can't help but be astounded by it. How can their hearts be hardened? How can they not understand about the loaves and fish? They've seen Jesus heal and work miracles. They've already even seen Jesus still a storm! 

How do they not get it when they have Jesus right there with them? How can it be they don't even know Jesus when they see him?

What possible hope is there for me if even the disciples who are with him don't get it?

And that brings me back to wondering about these hardened hearts and me. What is it that I miss seeing when my heart is hardened?

What is it that miss doing when my heart is hardened?

Even those who are closest to Jesus are not immune from sin. Even those closest to Jesus don't always get it and don't always notice Jesus when they see him.

So...ultimately, what will un-harden the hearts of the disciples?

And what will un-harden ours?


Holy God, thank you for the gospel - the good news - of your Son. Open my mind and heart to this good news and enliven me with your Spirit of servanthood that I might share this good news with a world in need. Amen


Engagement Questions:


How much of the division and anger in our polarized time is due to hardened hearts? When is it you are most likely to have a hardened heart yourself?

 

Popular posts from this blog

But we had hoped

The Gospel of Mark: The Burial of Jesus

The Gospel of Mark: Friday Follow-Up