Fuller

Time for a little respite from themes! For a little while instead, some passages for the day...


See, I am sending my messenger to prepare the way before me, and the Lord whom you seek will suddenly come to his temple. The messenger of the covenant in whom you delight—indeed, he is coming, says the Lord of hosts. But who can endure the day of his coming, and who can stand when he appears?

For he is like a refiner’s fire and like fullers’ soap; he will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver, and he will purify the descendants of Levi and refine them like gold and silver, until they present offerings to the Lord in righteousness. Then the offering of Judah and Jerusalem will be pleasing to the Lord as in the days of old and as in former years. ~ Malachi 3:1-4


Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold. ~ Leo Tolstoy 



This is a passage we sometimes get in Advent when we hear about John the Baptist.
But regardless or who we re talking about, John, Malachi, or some other prophet, the message seems fairly clear here.  We are in for some refining!
Fuller's soap is an alkali soap made from ashes used by the "fuller," who back in the day was the guy cleaned and thickened (made full) newly woven cloth.  Near as I can see, the process of the soap then worked on the fibers to bring the cloth to the desired consistency.
So...we, through the workings of God through prophets and through our church and our community and daily lives are being both refined and made, well, full.  Brought to a desired consistency.
Honestly, that for me is good news.  Because there are many places in my life where I feel like I'm expected to already be full. Whole.  Right. Competent. Perfect.
But I'm not whole yet. I'm not perfect.
Because refining takes time.  Thickening new woolen cloth takes time.
It might even take a life time.
Maybe today you don't quite feel like you are there yet.  Maybe you sometimes wonder if you'll ever get there.
If so, remember that the work is being done to you.  On you. Through you. You aren't getting there on your own.

Prayer: Great Refiner, please purify me and make me whole.  Amen.

Popular posts from this blog

But we had hoped

Resurrection Run

God's People: Abram