Prayer and Praise

Ascribe to the Lord, O heavenly beings,*
 ascribe to the Lord glory and strength. 
Ascribe to the Lord the glory of his name;
 worship the Lord in holy splendor.

The voice of the Lord is over the waters;
  the God of glory thunders,
 the Lord, over mighty waters. The voice of the Lord is powerful;
 the voice of the Lord is full of majesty. 
 The voice of the Lord breaks the cedars;
 the Lord breaks the cedars of Lebanon.  He makes Lebanon skip like a calf, and Sirion like a young wild ox. 

The voice of the Lord flashes forth flames of fire. 
The voice of the Lord shakes the wilderness;  the Lord shakes the wilderness of Kadesh. 

The voice of the Lord causes the oaks to whirl,*
and strips the forest bare; and in his temple all say, ‘Glory!’ 
The Lord sits enthroned over the flood; the Lord sits enthroned as king forever. 
May the Lord give strength to his people!
 May the Lord bless his people with peace! ~ Psalm 29



I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had no where else to go. My own wisdom and that of all about me seemed insufficient for that day. ~ Abraham Lincoln 





I remember when I was learning about prayer – in Confirmation or Sunday School or maybe even in an adult forum – we talked about the ACTS prayer: Adoration (or praise), Confession, Thanksgiving, and Supplication. It was easy for me to stumble over the steps, worrying so much about whether I was covering every base and not skipping any important part.  Did I praise effusively enough?  Did I confess everything I needed to?  Did I remember everything I was thankful for?  Did I remember to ask for everyone I knew who needed prayer?

And here is David, whose Psalms of prayer and praise slip seamlessly from his lips and onto the page and through time.  And I remember…

I can pray this Psalm.  When I’m too broken, when the praises don’t want to come, or when I’m feeling more grumbly than grateful, I can still drop to my knees with sighs to deep for words, knowing I have no where else to go.

I can still know that the Lord is still glorious and strong.  

I can know that the voice of the Lord still thunders over the mighty waters and flashes forth flames of fire.

I can know that the Lord still gives strength to his people and blesses them even when they feel broken, awkward, off, grumbly or when the praises just don’t fall naturally from their lips. My lips.  

I feel blessed to know people who have the gift of prayer.  There are some for whom prayer is as simple as breathing.  For others it is more difficult. If like me, you have those in your life who are prayer warriors, use their knowledge and faith.  Let them lead you and guide you.

But know also that God isn't counting the steps. God is looking for time with you. Begin your day even in silence for some one-on-one time with your creator or use the words of a prayer from someone else whose words strike you as meaningful - especially when you are feeling broken, awkward, off, or grumbly.


Prayer: Lord I adore you.  I thank you and I confess that I am broken.  Lift me up and help me pray.  And when the words won't come, I thank you for the words of your servant David whose words of truth echo through the millennia.  Amen.






Popular posts from this blog

But we had hoped

Resurrection Run

God's People: Abram